Monday, April 25, 2005

back to the roots

Hi everyone. sing along with me now, bob marley stylee "it's been a long, long time, since i've got you on my mind" cuz honeys its been a long long time since I've been on dis here blog...as you can tell. anyways, getting back to what's at hand:

I am enjoying Kamau Brathwaite's _Words Need Love Too_. The introduction was invaluable and enjoyable to read. It laid out poetics, process..very helpful ideas to enrich our reading of Brathwaite. I even appreciated immensely the acknowledgement/thanks from the first page: it was like opening the book with a prayer..and being given understanding...something as old as our bones: like a spiritual poesis..if there is such a thing. What I'm trying to say is that even with that short snip of a page, it was like I was being prepared, cleansed, made ready for the rest of the book....like an initiation...at the very least, it allowed my mind to clear away from all the flarlingdom that's been expounded with Mohammad, from all the aesthetics(?) of the grotesque a la Dinh (even though i'm totally down wiht Dinh).....it's like after all this time, we're finally getting back to the roots. Anyways, I like how Bill summed up all the recognizable elements which are embodied or culminated in Brathwaite's poetry. But I especially appreciate it for its 'nation language' (which has been preambled in class last week) and that it is yet another representation of traditionally marginalized voices. I guess you could say that i'm a softy for marginalized artist/poets/writers. These poems definitly re minded me of McMullin, Rastafarian resistance, Cha, George Lamming (I was at that video-viewing too--that lecture series rocked some serious soul shakin' action), and Zombies...

i too am interested in hearing about Vodoun. isn't Agwe the god of rain/sea?

p.s. I'm bringing an orange shaker for tomorrow's musical/poetic performance. see you in class!

peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home